Friday, July 23, 2010

Home sweet home

The first reaction I got from most fellow Indians when I told them that I was moving back to India was the last one I expected: envy. Most of them sighed and said they wished they could go back home as well.

Thinking back, I guess it is a predictable reaction from most first generation Indians who arrived in the US thinking that they would go back to India in a couple of years. In reality, two years became three, three became five, five became ten and suddenly, the roots had grown so deep that acceptance slowly started to creep in that perhaps US was home now. Still, that does not stop residual guilt from popping up when someone else is implementing their original plan. There, that is my Freudian analysis for today.

Coming back to me, next week this time, S and me will be on a flight back to India, going back to home sweet home: Chennai, India. It took me time to get used to the idea that I will be leaving the country I have lived in for almost 9 years now for good. The bay area, especially, boasts the privilege of hosting me for 7 years continually, a privilege which no other city has had in all my years of existence. I will miss the city, its weather, its parks, its community recreation center, its roads and most of all, the lovely city library.

Still, the idea of being among family and friends, celebrating all the major festivals with pomp, not missing out on the various functions, eating delicious food, having a very well-entrenched support system and finally going HOME is very intoxicating. Both of us are very much looking forward to it.

India, here we come :-D!

12 comments:

bincy said...

Oh wow that is awesome news, remember me (Thanu - harry potter fan) I silently still read ur blog.

Have a good move and do update this space.

Altoid said...

That's awesome news Archana. I won't say I'm jealous, but I'm definitely inspired and motivated :).

Have a safe trip back and many cheers to R2I.

-altoid

Laksh said...

All the very best Archana. Most people I know have moved to Bangalore. I will be eagerly following your move. Please do continue to blog through the R2I. It will be a valuable resource for others contemplating it.

Where in Chennai are you moving to?

spark said...

cool, you made it. good luck!

Floridora said...

Gosh, I hope I wont have to miss you. Please continue with this blog. I have enjoyed your impressions of my home (USA) as you became more familiar with it. I have learned so much about your country and its customs and would hope to learn more about India. Old age and infirmity rule out any chance that I might travel there. I count on you to be my reporter. Bless you and have a safe journey, Ralph

DivSu said...

Yay!! Ditto me two years ago! Welcome back :) Almost everyone I know who moved back, loved it. So will you, I am sure :)

Jaya said...

Good Luck.. We would be following you on the net :)

Archana said...

Bincy - thank you :-).

Altoid - so will I see some action as a result of the motivation :-D?

Laksh - definitely will continue blogging. We haven't yet decided on the locality.

Spark - thank you :-).

Floridora - no way I am going to stop 'enchanting' all you folks with my blogging :-) - shall definitely continue blogging. I love reading your blog and am just so thankful that since eth online will remain the same, the status quo will continue. Thank you for your wishes.

DivSu - I read about your move on your blog - thank you for the positive feedback about the move :-).

Joy - thank you :-).

Vishesh - thank you :-).

nourish-n-cherish said...

Hey....just wishing you luck :)

usha said...

Welcome back!
Usha chithi

Archana said...

Saumya - thank you!

Chitti - thank you :-).

Packers and movers said...

In the US we have "open house" rather than "open home." You'll sometimes find articles and TV shows about what one should do to prepare for an open house to make it more desireable to potential buyers - like hiding clutter, family pictures, and personal affects.

Packers and Movers in Ghaziabad