Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Rowthiram

Last weekend we went to see the tamil movie Rowthiram. Now, I am not a Jiva fan but parents had watched Jiva in Ko and had been suitably impressed. Thus, his standing had been upgraded from masa-masa (rough translation: not quite hero-material) to watchable. So, hoping that Rowthiram would be entertaining along the lines of Ko, we set off.

Morning of the movie, I read in the paper that the movie was not worth writing home about. Ouch. This is what happens when you book tickets without reading reviews.

Still, after thinking through, my eyes brightened considerably. We were going to watch the movie at Satyam theatre. The last time we had been there, I had totally fallen in love with their popcorn. S had added a wee bit of extra butter flavoring and then sprinked jalapeno seasoning over the fresh, hot and crispy popcorn. The end result was YUMMY. We had finished the entire medium sized bag of popcorn even before the movie had begun.

So, salivating, I thought, so what if the movie is bad, I still can eat the popcorn. Finding silver linings in unlikely places, that's me

At the theatre, in spite of his protests, I convinced S to buy the large bag of popcorn to share. And, being the, whatever happiness I get, the world should get it too, type of person, I convinced mom that she would be able to eat a medium sized bagful of yummy popcorn by herself (mom is the quintessential pop-corn lover. With popcorn, she looks as gleeful as a little kid with a bag of candy. Still, she always gets only the regular size).

So, armed with our popcorn, we entered the theatre and started munching on the it long before the movie started. Movie started. Movie story was like this: a whole series of fights threaded together with a few romantic scenes and songs.

Even considering that the fights were pretty frequent, I was still surprised to see that, by the time fight #5 rolled around on the screen, I still had more than half a bag of popcorn to finish. S had stopped munching on the pop-corn and refused my offer to have more. I sneaked a glance at mom and saw her bravely chomping through her supply.

By fight #10, I was seriously getting tired of the pop-corn. Man, was that bag bottomless or what? Another sneak peek showed mom was still bravely chomping through her popcorn supply. I whispered to her "Lots of popcorn, huh?". She grinned weakly and said, "Yes da. It tastes good but my mouth is beginning to ache with all this chewing."

That's when I realized that MY mouth was aching as well. Then, I casually pushed over the bag to S and said, "Here, you finish the rest." S said, "Ha, you are not able to finish it right? I told you it would be too much." Oh well, now I KNOW, right?

Anyway, like they say, all things happen for a reason. Turns out Rowthiram was competing for the record of the world's longest movie. Thus, it was way past lunch-time when we emerged bleary-eyed from the theatre. But hungry kya? No way! With all that popcorn in our tummies we (other than dad) were set to watch one more hour of the movie. Of course, that would have meant exacerbating my headache but at least the stomach wasn't complaining. I *knew* eating all the popcorn would have some good effect!

Oh, you thought this post was a review for the movie? Well, here is the short review: don't watch. The long review? It should have been shorter by at least 45 minutes. The actors (other than the main villain, who dad said looked like a oona (chameleon) and who was about as menacing) were pretty good - but the story was non-existent. You can easily remake Rowthiram by stringing together the fight sequences from some 15 movies or so. So yeah, buy your pop-corn and go for 15 other movies instead.

3 comments:

SK said...

LOL! Enjoyed the 'review'!

Art said...

loved ur blog... adding you to my list...

Archana said...

SK - hehe!

Art - thank you :-)! And welcome aboard!