Tuesday, May 23, 2006

On time, every time? Right.

So this noon, me and my colleagues decided to leave for lunch at sharp 12.30p as we all had a meeting to attend at 1.30p. S, V and me walked across the street where V bought lunch and S and me nibbled at our homemade fares. Lunch was a merry affair - we were talking about a whole bunch of interesting topics and laughter abounded.

I suddenly remembered the meeting and checked my watch. S and V were watching me and asked "Is it late?". It was only 12.50p. We were mighty surprised that only such a short time had passed by. But we all had been rather hungry - so we had just gobbled up our food real fast. Or so we thought. We decided to dilly-dally a bit before heading back to work. After some more time of dilly-dallying, I checked my watch and went "What!! It's still only 1.00p". V went "No way" and pulled out his cell phone to check the time. It was actually 1:27p - for some reason, my darn watch had been crawling :-(((! We had been having an hour-long lunch. To make things worse we were late for the meeting!

We rushed back to work. Everyone else was already at the meeting. All seats towards the back were taken. And I had to take a seat in the front- right next to my manager. My manager mouthed "Why are you late?" as I slipped into the seat next to him. Boo hoo, I am never late to meetings as a rule.

And you know what the greatest irony of it all is? One of the merry topics discussed during lunch involved S and me crowing about how punctual we always were. Sigh!

10 comments:

Shilpa said...

Oops !

My watch did that once too. Anyway on the brighter side, as you are normally not late, your manager probably understood !

And it could have been worse...imagine you had only your watch...you would not have made it to the meeting at all !!

Prabhu said...

Intha maadhiri velai panravangala oorla "Vetti officer" nu soluvaanga.

I think the Manager would have thought " Grrr - I just hate it when people maintain Indian Standard Time"

A meeting straight after lunch??, and were you awake through out the meeting?

Prasanna said...

poor thing! first of all you to huf & puff run cos u r late immdtly after a nice lunch, top of it attend a meeting ;0(

Anonymous said...

wow nice blog here.

very neatly topics are arranged.

Keep up the good work!!

~~~~~~~~~
Thought I will let you know about my site too. Hope you find it useful

http://www.resourcemecca.com
Post Free Classified In ResourceMecca.com, you can post and search on others posting on any issue, free classified service,

Anonymous said...

wow nice blog here.

very neatly topics are arranged.

Keep up the good work!!

~~~~~~~~~
Thought I will let you know about my site too. Hope you find it useful

http://www.resourcemecca.com
Post Free Classified In ResourceMecca.com, you can post and search on others posting on any issue, free classified service,

BZ said...

LOL! :))
In our group, none of us wear watches. And generally nobody cares if one is late.

Ginkgo said...

yeh.... true..
Im more used to looking @ my cell for time..than my watch..

or maybe u dont have a sense of time :P
wat to do ...some ppl are like that wonly..:-D

kuttichuvaru said...

i wear my watch 24x7 but never care to look at it!! I either look at my computer or on my cellfone........so even if it runs slow, it doesnt bother me :-)

Archana Bahuguna said...

So you were late. That's not a good thing. We hope you will not do that again.

(ps: tee hee)

Archana said...

Shilpa - I know! There is no situation so bad that it couldn't have been worse!!

Prabhu - enda maadhiri vetti velai? Time paakartha or late-aa pogartha? Aha - I can see you are throwing my own words back at me :-(! Don't ask me abt the soga meeting kadhai. Since I was running late already I did not have time to grab coffee or a notebook & pen. Without these wakening-aids, after the first half hour I had to use all the will-power in the world to not fall off my chair sleeping :-(!

Prasanna - amaam, kodumai! It was not even a meeting in which I had to contribute ...

Anon - And here I was, naively thinking that turning on word verification will get rid of spammers.

Isaac - so you decided that spanning non-anonymously will make it better!?!

Saranya - normally people don't care if we are late to meetings. This meeting unfortunately involved company big-shots...

Madsies - hehehe! After the meeting my first words to my manager was a long tirade against my poor watch ;-)!

Gingko - enna panna! Ellarum ungala maadhiri sincere-aa irukka mudiyuma ;-)!

Kuttichuvaru - somehow I have this compulsive habbit of checking my watch whenever I do not have a time-source within my line of sight!

Archana - sure madam! Will keep that in mind ;-)! P.s. the tee hee spoilt the effect of the lecture...lol :-D!