Monday, August 23, 2010

Onam

One of the best things about marrying a person from a different regional background is that you get to celebrate more than the usual number of festivals to honor traditions from both regions. Other than learning about different customs you also get to eat more than the usual amount of yummy festival food.

So guess who is mighty thrilled that it is Onam today? Me, me, me! My very first Onam celebration - yaay! In the morning I prised my eyes open earlier than usual so I could go and asist my niece in drawing the "Poo-kolam". We had a great time decorating the floor with flowers - finally, lamps were also lit.



Looks gorgeous or what?

Besides dosas/chutney/kurma, these are the Onam special dishes I had for breakfast. Unniappams (those small puffed ovals) are something I have never had before - they are very tasty.


I had a super yummy lunch as well. Burp. And oh, I am dressed in the traditional Kerala cream-colored saree. Yup, my cup of joy overfloweth :-D!

Happy Onam to all :-)!

p.s. Though S is technically a Malayali, he was born and brought up in Tamilnadu. So he is more Tam than Mallu. But happily for me, all the principal cooking members are true-blue Mallus - hehehhe.

8 comments:

Sachita said...

Such a beautiful thought, never thought of/heard of some one looking at it this way.

Vishesh said...

Happy Onam :D

nourish-n-cherish said...

Happy Onam - I love the cream and gold saree. It is so pristine :)

Also, the poo kolam looks fab!

Happy Onam

SK said...

Happy Onam to you!
Imagining you all decked up and pretty in the saree! :--))

Rohini said...

Happy Onam.

More festivals are totally perks of mixed marriages. We have Diwali and Christmas :)

Archana said...

Sachita - :-)

Vishesh - thanku, thanku!

Saumya - I loved wearing the saree too :-)! Thank you!

SK - thanku! I was decked up alright :-D.

Rohini - welcome aboard! Thank you - ah, I love those Christmas plum cakes!

Archana Bahuguna said...

Hey Happy Onam to you as well! The Rangoli pictures are stunning ... and the food is so tempting! :-(

Archana said...

Archana - thank you!