Thursday, January 20, 2011

Operation Zero Crack

While being the first to admit that I am quite far from the Miss World mold, I am nevertheless quite vain about a few physical features of mine. When I was kid, I used to love the smooth feel of my ankles. For some unfathomable reason, cracked heels were disgusting things to me and I would primly inform my mom that she and my aunts had ugly feet when those horrible heel cracks appeared (for some inexplicable reason, mom continued to love me). I had no idea back then that cracked heels were prone to afflict adults more. Instead, I just assumed that I had been born with divinely blessed perfect heels.

Fast forward to adulthood. Regular readers of this blog will know my penchant and fondness for moisturizing. If a person bathes themselves in moisturizer I guess that person's heels will have a very hard time trying to crack. So, while I did not make the connection, I continued to have smooth heels and I continued to believe in my divine perfect heels.

Fast forward some more. Last year we moved back to India. As I said, moisturizers were mostly unnecessary in Chennai and I had to regretfully give up on using so much. Then, the winter set in. Now, in Chennai, you have to look really carefully to find winter. About two days of the ceiling fan being unnecessary and winter is over. Still, the air does tend to get a bit drier than usual.

Fast forward to a few days ago. I was climbing the stairs to my in-laws house ahead of S when he asked, "Hey Archu, are those cracks in your heels?" I froze mid-step. Just like in that ad where a teenage boy calls a prematurely graying lady "aunty" and the lady hears echoes of "aunty, aunty, aunty", I could hear echoes of "cracked heels, cracked heels, cracked heels".

Stunned, I checked my feet and sure enough, I could spot two cracks on each heel. Noooooooooooooooo. All I could think about for the rest of the visit was "I need to get rid of the cracked heels NOW." How could I have neglected my favorite activity (moisturizing) so much?

Now I have launched Operation Zero Crack. I soak my feet in warm water and scrub my feet morning and night. Then douse them in moisturizer and cover my feet with socks. So what if I look like a geriatric wearing socks in 29C weather? Getting rid of the heel cracks is priority #1.

After 4 days of this routine, I don't know if the heel cracks are healing. But I do know that I have the cleanest feet in the whole of Chennai.

Here's to crack-less heels!

12 comments:

SK said...

ROTFL! :--)
Funny!

Shilpa said...

Archu,
try the Himalaya foot cream...its awesome and works in 3 -4 days :)

Archana said...

SK :-)

Shilpa - hey! long time no see in the blog world :-)! Mom bought Dr. Scholl's foot cream for me coz she couldn't take my cribbing any further :-D - it seems to be working. Else will try Himalaya...

Anita said...

lol! Well, now you know feet need moisturising even in good ole chennai, you vain woman.

Archana said...

Sindu - I know! Mercifully, they are almost gone now!

Serendipity said...

:D LOL!! Aunty Aunty it seems :)) Madddd!

nourish-n-cherish said...

ROFL - that was such a funny read! Well...at least you never have to bother about chill blaines :)

Rohini said...

LOL! My feet are clearly not one of my assets, cracked or otherwise :D

Archana said...

Seren - :-)

Saumya - have no clue what chill blaines are (and am too lazy to Google it)

Rohini - my feet are SO not one of my assets - in fact I keep cribbing about how big they are. But my heels HAVE to be smooth!!

n!ved!t@ said...

Love your blog!!

And I have been through this - my heels used to be smooth/crack free, even in Chennai. And then I moved to Mumbai like two years back and my heels started 'cracking'. Guess age finally catches up and what goes around comes around. :)

Archana said...

Nivedita - welcome aboard and thanks!

Try Dr. Scholl's foot cream - it is amazing. The cracks disappeared in about 4 days and since then, regular moisturizing has kept them away.

But totally agree that with age comes necessity for increased taking care of oneself.

Anonymous said...

Apr 07, 2021 · FilmoraGo Mod Apk v6.2.5 (Unlocked) Nick Statt. 04/07/2021. FilmoraGo is an easy-to-use video editing app with advanced features and tons of ways to be creative. Edit music videos, make …
https://sweek.com/profile/1713095/74088